Certificate of Spiritual Direction
For those who wish to assist others deepen their relationship with the divine, the certificate of spiritual direction provides rich, meaningful preparation. As the study of spiritual direction is for those who seek a fuller experience of God’s love, the coursework and group study also provide a means for students to learn and grow in their own personal spirituality.
Programs in Theology & Ministry are available in a blended format, combining online work with occasional face to face class meetings at our home campus in Mobile or at Ignatius House in Atlanta.
Goals for CSD students
- Attentiveness to the movements of the Spirit
- Discovery of their own gifts and strengths
- Ability to discern readiness of directee
- Love for helping others listen to God
- Commitment to service
- Completion of 30 credit hours in Biblical, moral and spiritual theology (or approved equivalents)
- Completion of at least one individually directed Ignatian retreat (5-8 days)
- Experience of at least one year of ongoing spiritual direction
I am a student of Saint Ignatius and love it. One day, with God’s grace, maybe I can work with a retreat center or at a campus helping others learn how to start their inner journey as they quest to discover and know God as a friend and life companion. Spiritual Direction, for me, has been the absolute best decision I have ever made in my life.
— Dana Wolfe
As part of their program, CSD students participate in the Summer Institute of Christian Spirituality where they join with students in the MTS, MPS and MA programs in exploring a variety of the unique gems of the Christian spiritual tradition. For example: St. Francis and the Canticle of the Creatures; St. Ephrem and Syriac Spirituality; Benedictine Spirituality; Flannery O’Connor; the Beatitudes; Parables of Jesus. Because of the variety of offerings students often return year after year, even after completing the program.
— Dr. Timothy Carmody, Program Director