Master of Arts in Theology (MA)
The MA program is designed for students who have earned a Master of Theological Studies degree, or an equivalent, from Spring Hill or a regionally accredited institution. The MA program builds on that degree and allows the student to engage in more focused research in their additional course work. The program culminates in an MA thesis (6 credit hours) in a specific topic in theology.
Programs in Theology & Ministry are available in a blended format, combining online work with occasional face to face class meetings at our home campus in Mobile or at Ignatius House in Atlanta.
Features of the SHC Graduate Program
- Personalized work with Thesis director
- Wide range of Topics for Focus
- Great research libraries in Mobile and Atlanta
- Academically rigorous
- Preparation for Ph.D. work
- Average class size: 15
- Approximate Male/Female Ratio: 50%/50%
- Percent who are working professionals: 90%
- Percent who are working full time in ministry: 15%
- Admission requirement? MTS or equivalent degree
- GPA requirement? GPA of 3.5 and above/ 3.2-3.4 for conditional admission
- Number of faculty? 6 full time faculty
- Will this degree fit my schedule? Online courses; Guided Reading courses
- How many credit hours are needed to complete the degree? 48 (in total)
- How long does it take to complete the program? 2-3 years part-time beyond the MTS degree
The Master of Arts in Theology degree program requires 48 credit hours: 14 graduate-level courses and a research thesis. This degree allows for further concentration beyond the MTS degree in one particular area chosen by the student (e.g., Biblical, Spiritual, Moral) and includes an extensive research project concluding in a thesis paper (75-100 pages long).
I wanted to pursue graduate studies because I knew I was called to be a permanent deacon in the Mobile Archdiocese. Spring Hill College was the perfect place to do that, because of the small class sizes and the personal interest professors have for students here. I have told many people that my Christian faith has been greatly broadened and deepened due to my education at SHC.
— Bill Harkins ’16
Over 20 years ago I received the Master of Arts in Theology from Spring Hill College. The positive impact of a Jesuit approach to theological studies cannot be measured. We learn to talk and think with integrity about theology. And in doing so, we gain a deep desire to work for the Church, and in the world, for the sake of the kingdom of God.
— Deb Madonia
Because Spring Hill offers its theology programs as a service to the region’s community of faith and as an expression of its basic mission, the cost per credit hour reflects a generous tuition reduction which is applied toward all students. The same fee applies to graduate, undergraduate, and audit levels.