Military and Veterans Benefits

If you are or have been a member of the military, you or your dependents may qualify for financial assistance from your military branch, service-connected associations or Spring Hill College. Active duty members and retirees should contact their branch's payroll department for information about financial assistance and relief societies within their branches. U.S. veterans are eligible to participate in the U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs Educational Benefits Program.

Sallie Mae has published a brochure that explains in detail the federal student loan benefits that are available to veterans.

Current Benefits

SHC participates in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits Programs. The Office of Financial Aid coordinates enrollment verification with the Office of the Registrar and submits the appropriate forms. Current VA programs are as follows:

  • Chapters 30, 31, 35, 1606, 1067
  • Post-911 GI Bill (Ch. 33)
  • The Yellow Ribbon Program

Please note that any scholarship provided by SHC (academic, talent or athletic) will be applied toward tuition and fees.

Getting Started

We require that you complete both the Veterans Registration Information Form and the VA Rights and Responsibilities Form every year. These forms should be submitted to the College Office of Financial Aid along with a certificate of eligibility (VA Form 22-0557) or award letter (VA Form 20-8993). Once we have received this form, we will notify the VA regional office of your enrollment.

Comparison of VA Education Benefits

First Time Benefits Recipients

Students applying for benefits for the first time must complete a VA Request for Benefits Form along with the forms specified above.

» Apply online at VONAPP



If You Transfer to SHC

Students who have received benefits at another institution and who are applying for benefits at Spring Hill College for the first time, must complete a VA Change of Program/Place of Training Form.

» Apply online at VONAPP

Enrollment Requirements

The following enrollment requirements apply to students seeking VA benefits:

  • The courses taken must meet degree requirements.
  • For full-time funding, undergraduate students must be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours per semester; graduate students must be enrolled for at least 9 credit hours per semester. The summer session pay rate is determined by the combination of credit hours and length of classes.
  • If you decide to change your course load after your enrollment has been certified, you must notify the Office of Financial Aid immediately as the amount of your benefits may be affected.
  • All recipients must maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • You must declare a major by the time you have earned 60 credit hours.
  • If you wish to add a second major or degree, you must request a list of VA requirements for approval three weeks prior to certification of enrollment for the next year.
  • If you plan to take an independent study course during the next academic year, Spring Hill College must request and receive approval from the VA's state approving agency before the enrollment certification can occur.
  • If you plan to attend another college or university during the summer and use VA benefits, you must first receive approval from the Office of Financial Aid.

Schedule your campus visit and meet with our veterans enrollment advisor today. Phone (251) 380-3030, (800) 742-6704, e-mail or email Vice President for Enrollment Management, Robert Stewart, at