Certificate Programs in Theology
The department of theology and ministry is pleased to offer a variety of specialized certificate programs. Some of the certificates are designed especially for clergy, religious and lay ministers, who seek a deeper grounding in a particular area of ministry: liturgy, spirituality, spiritual direction or faith companioning, while others are designed to offer the challenge of serious theological reflection or as professional or personal enrichment. The certificates may be pursued either on a graduate or undergraduate level. Some certificate programs may be completed in conjunction with a degree program.
Certificate of Theological Studies (CTS)
The Certificate of Theological Studies (CTS) is designed for students who have not yet completed a college degree. The program follows the same course schedules as the Master of Theological Studies program, however, the courses are completed for undergraduate credit. The schedule indicates graduate and undergraduate course numbers for each course. Appropriate modifications are made for assignments and expectations. Students earning the CTS may also elect to apply their credits toward earning the Bachelor of Arts in Theology degree.
The Continuing Education Certificate of Theological Studies is awarded to students who complete the entire thirty hour curriculum of the theological studies degree program on an audit basis rather than for credit. All courses must be formally audited, and students must submit (to the chair of theology) a letter from the instructor of each course certifying regular attendance.
- Six-credit hours of Biblical theology
- Six-credit hours of historical theology
- Six-credit hours of moral theology
- Three-credit hours of pastoral theology
- Three-credit hours of systematic theology
- Six-credit hours in theology, spirituality, or ministry electives
Certificate of Spiritual Direction / Faith Companioning (CSD)
This certificate is designed especially for clergy, religious and lay persons with theological preparation, who seek a deeper grounding in this ministry. Course work includes four semesters plus courses completed during the Summer Institute of Christian Spirituality. The CSD may be completed in conjunction with the Master of Pastoral Studies program for students who would like to earn a degree. This program is presently available at the Mobile and Atlanta sites only. Admission is normally open every other year.
Because of the nature of spiritual direction, effective preparation for this ministry requires both extensive professional training and distinctive personal qualities. The Certificate of Spiritual Direction (CSD), therefore, is built on selective admission requirements. Yearly evaluations of each candidate's aptitude are conducted by the faculty in dialogue with the candidate.
The Certificate of Faith Companioning is designed for those who wish to share faith and prayer with others along the journey of spiritual growth, but do not have the vocation of being a spiritual director.
- Completion of 30 credit hours in Biblical, moral and spiritual theology (or approved equivalents)
- Completion of at least one individually directed Ignatian retreat (5-8 days)
- Experience of at least one year of ongoing spiritual direction
- Prayer & Discernment I & II - (2 credit hours)
- The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius I & II - (2 credit hours)
- Spiritual Direction Seminar - (3 credit hours)
- Spirituality & Psychology Seminar - (3 credit hours)
- Spiritual Direction Practicum I & II - (4 credit hours)
- Four-credit hours in spirituality, ministry, or theology electives