CSD Admission Requirements
The Certificate of Spiritual Direction is designed especially for clergy, religious and lay persons with theological preparation, who seek a deeper grounding in this ministry. Because of the nature of spiritual direction, effective preparation for this ministry requires both extensive professional training and distinctive personal qualities, as well as mature life experience. The “Certificate of Spiritual Direction” (CSD), therefore is built on selective admission requirements and also on a progressive evaluation of candidates.
After completing the online application for admission to the College, the following documents are also required for review of admissions files. All documents should be submitted one month prior to the intended term of entry. The CSD program only accepts applications every other year and is only offered on the main campus in Mobile and in Atlanta.
- Order official transcript(s) from all previous academic institutions and have them sent to our office (unless you have already completed a program at Spring Hill College). (Note: transcripts must show 30 credit hours in theology (biblical, moral and spiritual) or documentation for approved equivalents must also be submitted.)
- A list of all individually directed retreats previously attended (5 or 8 day) and ongoing spiritual direction
- Two confidential letters of recommendation, sent directly from applicant’s retreat director and spiritual director addressing applicant’s aptitude for this program
- A personal profile / spiritual autobiography, including: a brief account of the highlights or turning points of your own faith journey; and a personal statement outlining your reasons for being interested in this program.
- Completion of the Specialized Application for the CSD program.
- Schedule an interview with the program admissions committee, after all the above have been submitted.