Certificate of Spiritual Direction Ce
For those who wish to assist others deepen their relationship with the divine, the certificate of spiritual direction provides rich, meaningful preparation. As the study of spiritual direction is for those who seek a fuller experience of God’s love, the coursework and group study also provide a means for students to learn and grow in their own personal spirituality.
Goals for CSD students
- Attentiveness to the movements of the Spirit
- Discovery of their own gifts and strengths
- Ability to discern readiness of directee
- Love for helping others listen to God
- Commitment to service
- Completion of 30 credit hours in Biblical, moral and spiritual theology (or approved equivalents)
- Completion of at least one individually directed Ignatian retreat (5-8 days)
- Experience of at least one year of ongoing spiritual direction
As part of their program, CSD students participate in the Summer Institute of Christian Spirituality where they join with students in the MTS, MPS and MA programs in exploring a variety of the unique gems of the Christian spiritual tradition. For example: St. Francis and the Canticle of the Creatures; St. Ephrem and Syriac Spirituality; Benedictine Spirituality; Flannery O’Connor; the Beatitudes; Parables of Jesus. Because of the variety of offerings students often return year after year, even after completing the program.
— Dr. Timothy Carmody, Program Director
While working as an adult faith formation director and having many people come to my office to talk and seek advice I felt I needed to be better informed in both my faith and in the work of a listener. For me, since I was in the work at my parish, most of the reading and reflections helped me be better at what I did already.
— Maria Kressler