Certificate of Spiritual Direction Ce
For those who wish to assist others deepen their relationship with the divine, the certificate of spiritual direction provides rich, meaningful preparation. As the study of spiritual direction is for those who seek a fuller experience of God’s love, the coursework and group study also provide a means for students to learn and grow in their own personal spirituality.
Goals for CSD students
- Attentiveness to the movements of the Spirit
- Discovery of their own gifts and strengths
- Ability to discern readiness of directee
- Love for helping others listen to God
- Commitment to service
- Completion of 30 credit hours in Biblical, moral and spiritual theology (or approved equivalents)
- Completion of at least one individually directed Ignatian retreat (5-8 days)
- Experience of at least one year of ongoing spiritual direction
In the Spiritual Direction program, most significantly, the importance of listening, both in prayer and as directors is stressed. We learn to listen with reverence. We listen in other words for the work of grace. We listen for God’s loving direction, which is a work of grace. Guided by the insight that prayer is an ever deepening encounter with a loving God, the principles of an authentic prayer life are appropriated and realized in one’s personal life of prayer—and perhaps this is the greatest gift of the Spring Hill “method” of training spiritual directors—for the Church, in today’s changing, complex, and sometimes confusing world.
— Deborah Madonia
I am a student of Saint Ignatius and love it. One day, with God’s grace, maybe I can work with a retreat center or at a campus helping others learn how to start their inner journey as they quest to discover and know God as a friend and life companion. Spiritual Direction, for me, has been the absolute best decision I have ever made in my life.
— Dana Wolfe