Master of Theological Studies
Explore the depth and breadth of Christian Theology in a program designed on the principle of “faith seeking understanding.”
Designed primarily for adult students who are working full-time in their professions or homes, the MTS program builds the foundation of critical tools, methods of analysis and solid theological reflection and culminates in practical application of theological knowledge.
The program recognizes that Theology is a true science with its own criteria of analysis and reflection, which at the same time is based on faith, the human encounter with the mystery of God.
Benefits of SHC Graduate Degree
- Small, Diverse Classes
- Mostly online
- Intensive classroom meetings
- Availability of professors
- Average class size: 15
- Approximate Male/Female Ratio: 50%/50%
- Average number of international students: 3
- Percentage who are Catholic: 70%
- Percent who are working professionals: 90%
- Percent who are working full time in ministry: 15%
- Admission requirement? 6 credits of undergraduate theology
- GPA requirement? GPA of 3.0 and above/2.5-3.0 for conditional admission
- Number of faculty: 6 full time faculty
- Will this degree fit my schedule? Online courses, 6 on-site meetings on weekends
- How many credit hours are needed to complete the degree? 33
- How long does it take to complete the program? Approximately 3 years part-time
- Are there certificate options? Yes, Spiritual Direction and Theological Studies
Why Pursue the MTS?
- To move into a field of ministry – Teaching, Religious Education, Chaplaincy, Non-profit Social Ministry
- To obtain graduate education in my current field of ministry
- To gain knowledge in my faith and critical tools for part time or volunteer lay ministry
- For personal enrichment and increased knowledge in my faith
Our programs aim to be challenging and rigorous, but not narrowly academic. Our theology is deeply rooted in the Catholic tradition but also seeks to offer an expansive, ecumenical vision that enters into dialogue with the many frontiers and challenges of the 21st century.
— Fr. Christopher Viscardi, S.J.
My theological studies at Spring Hill have already led me to many wonderful events I was unaware that God had planned for me, and I continue to be in awe of his plans for my life as I progress on my journey.
— Sam Di Benedetto ’97
Because Spring Hill offers its theology programs as a service to the Southeast’s community of faith and as an expression of its basic mission, the cost per credit hour reflects a generous tuition reduction which is applied toward all students; the same fee applies to graduate, undergraduate, and audit levels.
The Master of Theological Studies degree requires thirty-three (33) credit hours from the following categories: historical, systematic, Biblical, moral, and pastoral. Courses offer the challenge of serious theological reflection as a preparation for ministry or as professional updating and personal enrichment.