You are here:

Spring Hill College student chosen for exclusive summit in Washington, D.C.

Grace Gundlach, a ONE Campus Leader and member of the Class of 2021 at Spring Hill College, was chosen to participate in an exclusive summit in Washington, D.C. focused on fighting extreme poverty and disease. At the three-day, invite-only summit, students will come together, learn about The ONE Campaign and hear from well-known speakers, activists and political leaders. Participants will receive training on advocating for the fight against global poverty and preventable diseases, share their own ideas and polish their skills for the coming year.

"I'm incredibly grateful to be chosen to attend this year’s ONE Power Summit,” said Gundlach. “Service is a core value here at Spring Hill College, and my experience inside and outside of the classroom has challenged me to think critically about what I can do to help solve some of the world’s most challenging problems.”

Students earned an invitation to the Power Summit by being a student leader at one of the most active ONE campuses nationwide. The summit, which will take place February 24-26, 2018 at Gallaudet University, will offer students the opportunity to hear from some of the top political and policy figures who have led the fight against extreme poverty and disease.

“One of the most challenging problems facing our world today is the number of people living in extreme poverty,” Gundlach went on to say. “I’m excited to travel to Washington to meet with leaders, like my hometown Congressman Steve Scalise, to urge them to support the international affairs budget and return home and apply what I’ve learned to the work I’m doing on my campus and in my community.”

ONE is a policy and advocacy organization of more than 9 million people taking action to end extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. Not politically partisan, ONE was co-founded by U2 lead singer Bono to raise public awareness and press political leaders to combat AIDS and other preventable diseases, increase investments in agriculture and nutrition and demand greater transparency in poverty-fighting programs.

"At the ONE Power Summit, the top ONE chapter leaders will have the opportunity to meet each other and share their enthusiasm about what ONE is doing across the country. The take-away from this conference, in addition to friendships and restored enthusiasm, will be a lasting passion for activism," said Jen Fraser, Director of College Organizing at ONE.

Media Contact:
Office of Marketing & Communications
251-380-3869
news@shc.edu

Close menu