New "green" Student Center welcomes Spring Hill students back to campus
Aug. 23, 2010
Mobile, Ala. – New and returning Spring Hill College students began the fall 2010 semester with brand new living room. The college’s new student center, officially completed this summer, is Mobile’s first multipurpose Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified “green” complex. The student center helps fulfill a major goal in the college’s strategic plan: to build and maintain the infrastructure with respect for the environment while sustaining a culture of learning.
The center serves as the gathering place for the entire Spring Hill College community and is the hub that connects students, faculty and staff to out-of-class learning and social and leadership development. Designed by The Architects Group (TAG) and built by Vance McCown Construction, the student center achieved the prestigious LEED certification by:
• Reducing facility’s energy needs by 14 percent
• Using recycled building materials
• Providing thermal controls for individual offices
• Using of low-VOC (volatile organic compound) paint and coatings
• Connecting users with exterior environment via vast windows
• Installing efficient plumbing fixtures
• Using water efficient landscaping
• Planting trees to provide shade and promote biodiversity
• Protecting vegetation from construction activities
• Incorporating campus recycling initiative (paper, aluminum, glass, plastic)
The center houses as variety of offices, including student affairs and campus ministry, as well as the dining services areas, a grill, lounges, conference rooms and student organization offices and work spaces.
Conference rooms are available for rental to public groups for meetings and functions. For more information call (251) 380-3884.