10 Tips for Success at The Hill ~ Jordan Truxillo '14
Students, faculty, and staff are all so excited that you will be joining us on The Hill this year! I wanted to come up with a few tips to help get you through your years here at Spring Hill. I hope this helps!
- Establish a routine- When it comes to college, it can be extremely important to wake up at the same time every day in order to make it to class, have a quick breakfast routine, or to keep your keys in the same location. Trust me, you do not want to be that freshman locked out of your room in the middle of the night.
- Make friends with the people who give you food- If there is one bit of wisdom I can pass on to you, it is this. The Cafe staff is full of wonderful people who want to get to know you, but this will only happen if you go and introduce yourself and learn their names as well. By the end of the year when apples run low, you will have that one Cafe friend who will always have your back.
- Say hello to Ms. Juanita with a smile- This is an extension of tip #2. Just take my advice, greet this woman with a smile, and never forget your student ID when eating in the Student Center.
- Meet people you don’t know- This is a small campus and you will eventually know pretty much everyone, but go ahead and step out of your comfort zone and take a trip to Walmart with your hall mates. Pick a club to join, get involved, and make sure to say hello to people you walk past.
- Take advantage of the weather- We live in a tropical environment, so seize the day! Go to the beach after class on a Friday, bring a blanket to Rydex, hang up a hammock on one of the many trees we have on campus.
- Check out local stores- Speaking of “seize the day”, Carpe Diem is just across the street, and this coffee shop can be a pretty awesome study spot. Not to mention, they have a delicious iced caramel macchiato. There is also Rouse’s, cafés, and shops across Old Shell, too!
- Participate in the Ice Breakers- As awkward as they can be, ice breakers really will help you meet some of your hall mates and your room mate. At least you are all being awkward together!
- Talk to upperclassmen- I promise they all are really happy you are here and they want to help you! We have a tight knit community here, and these students know how you are feeling. Ask advise on classes, professors, clubs/organizations, or anything else SHC.
- Chat with your professors- Spring Hill has pretty great professors. They want you to succeed and would love to help, but you have to do your work. Introduce yourself to them, sit up front, and participate in discussions. They will learn your name and who you are, so leave a positive first impression.
- Call your parents- I know you are excited and super busy, but give your parents a call and tell them you are alright. They want to hear from you, and who knows? Maybe you’ll get a care package! Nothing is more exciting than getting something in the mail. Plus, Ms. Leola is awesome so tell her hello.
Jordan Truxillo '14 is a Spring Hill College Admissions Counselor. She majored in sociology at SHC and grew up in Mobile, Ala.
Want to learn more about Jordan? Read her SHC feature story here: http://bit.ly/1n0gy8l