The core curriculum gives our students a common learning experience. It is designed not only to prepare them for their chosen professions, but also introduces them to a breadth of knowledge and perspectives, laying the foundation for a lifetime of learning.
A Snapshot of the Core
- 4 courses in English
- Words allow you to enter the depths of human experience and to articulate your ideas with precision and force.
- 2 courses in history
- The past tells us who we are, where we are going, and why we do what we do.
- 3 courses in theology
- Faith and religion are a part of every people and culture.
- 3 courses in philosophy
- Critical thinking, argumentation, and ethical reasoning are vital in every professional arena.
- 2 courses in the social sciences
- Understanding the personal and social dimensions of people is essential for self-knowledge and successful relationships.
- 2 courses in foreign language
- The 21st century global village will require you to understand and to communicate with other cultures.
- 3 courses in math, computer science and lab sciences
- The Jesuits continue to emphasize the importance of technological fluency and scientific competence.
- 1 course in fine or performing arts
- Art opens our eyes and minds to worlds old and new.
- 4 cross-curricular courses
- 1 in cultural diversity and 3 in writing