Types of Aid

Spring Hill is Affordable

Families in all income ranges find Spring Hill affordable. Each student's financial aid award may include one or more of the following types of aid:


Scholarships are based on academic achievement. Because they are merit-based, they are available to every student who qualifies for them—regardless of financial need. The academic merit scholarships offered by Spring Hill range up to $23,000 per year.

  • Academic scholarships
  • Transfer scholarships
  • Athletic scholarships

More information on scholarships


Grants are funds that do not have to be repaid. In most cases, you must demonstrate financial need to receive a grant. Grant eligibility is determined by information provided by your FAFSA and can be funded by federal and state governments, as well as Spring Hill College.

More information on grants


Federal student loans are the most affordable loans available to students, with the lowest interest rates and deferred principal and interest payments until after graduation. Spring Hill is a direct lending school, which means you can obtain education loans without using a private lender like a bank or credit union. If you need additional funding, private lenders are an alternative.

More information on loans

Student Employment

Federal work study is a federal program available to qualified students who demonstrate financial need. Students are employed on campus in positions such as classroom assistants, laboratory assistants, recreation assistants, and library assistants. Preference is given to students with the greatest demonstrated need, with the typical student working approximately 6 hours per week.

Campus Employment is open to all students, regardless of demonstrated financial need.

Both programs use the same application process:

  • Access CareerBeam @ http://kudzu.shc.edu/careerdevelopment/
  • Set up your account, search jobs and create or upload your resume
  • Select Students and Alumni.  You must self-register using your @email.shc.edu address
  • To find available jobs on campus, go to Getting the Job and select Job Postings
  • If you need to create a resume, there are tools under Resume Examples
  • Supervisors will then contact you and conduct an interview if you are selected by them as a potential candidate
  • Once hired, you must complete the required documentation and verify your identification with Student Payroll, located in the Fine Arts Building, 1st Floor

Watch this presentation for a step-by-step explanation of the Student Employment application process.

Please feel free to contact Dana Veth @ dveth@shc.edu with any questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is qualified to participate in Student Employment?

The student employment program at Spring Hill College pays students for services through a combination of federal, state and institutional funding. Most students interested in working on campus will qualify for one of these funding sources, although the final decision of eligibility will be made by the Office of Student Financial Aid at the time of hire.

Does the Office of Student Financial Aid place students in positions?

The Office of Student Financial Aid does not place students into positions. Departments are given sole authority to select the students they wish to hire and the Office of Student Financial Aid confirms the student's eligibility to work at the time of hire. However, our office does provide resources to locate employment on campus. Please see the Getting Hired page for more detailed information.

What type of earnings should I expect through the program?

Most students will be paid an hourly rate of $7.25 (minimum wage) and will be eligible to earn up to, but no more than, $2000.00 per fiscal year. The fiscal year runs from July 1 through June 30. Students may, at the discretion of their supervisor and subject to approval through the Office of Financial Aid, be paid at a different rate based on specific skills or certifications required. Students should also be aware that they cannot work more than 20 hours per week while participating in the student employment program.

How often do students receive payment for hours worked?

Students will be paid every other week following the time worked. Students will receive payment in the form of a check delivered to their campus boxes unless they have made prior arrangements to establish Direct Deposit. Please see the direct deposit form on the Finance Tab on BadgerWeb for more information on Direct Deposit.

My financial aid award included a work study allocation, what does this mean?

Students awarded a federal work study allocation as part of their financial aid award demonstrated a specific level of need on the results of their FAFSA. These students are eligible to seek on-campus employment through available resources and will be able to earn a portion or all of their allocated work study funds if they're hired. Receiving an allocation of work study funds with your initial financial aid award does not guarantee placement in a position on campus or that you will be able to earn all of the allocated funds.

If I have been hired by a department on campus, is there anything further I need to do to be eligible to receive payment?

Yes. Once hired, students must complete several forms as determined by federal, state and institutional regulations. More specific information about these requirements is available on the Getting Hired page. Newly hired students are also encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Policies and Procedures page of this website.

Who can I contact with additional questions?

Students may contact Dana Veth or Tara Jones in the Office of Student Financial Aid with any additional questions. Students may also contact Heidi Butler in Human Resources with questions concerning payment for hours worked. Jeremy Moore is also available to assist students with resume creation, CareerBeam access or other job seeking related skills.