Are you committed to the search for truth and social justice? Passionate about making the world a safer place? As a student of criminology at Spring Hill College, you’ll examine the nature of crime, the behavior of criminals, as well as the effectiveness and failings of the current criminal-justice system.
Students who complete the criminology program at SHC gain:
- The benefits of a general sociology background;
- An ability to analyze societal responses to crime, criminal behavior, and methods of social control;
- An understanding of the consequences of crime, laws, and criminal behavior; and
- An understanding of the origins of crime, laws, and social control.
Where We Work
- Crime Analyst
- Probation Officer
- Victim Advocate
- Law Enforcement
- Corrections Officer
- Number of Faculty: 2
- Popular second majors: Psychology, Business
- Clubs: Sociology Club
The courses are interesting, fun, and I really learn something new each time I step foot in the classes. Dr. Dorton and Dr. Bordas are amazing teachers who go through each step with us and makes the class electrifying.
— Antonio Brito '16
Criminology is best seen as a social science--not to be confused with the science of criminal detection or forensic science. With crime frequently in the news and always an important issue, a degree in Criminology has never been more relevant. At Spring Hill College, students not only examine why people commit crimes and how offenders should be punished--they also look at fundamental questions--how crime is defined, how criminal laws are created, and the ways different cultures view crime and justice.
— Dr. Harold Dorton