Flexible Fall Academic Details
Badgers Back 2020 – Features
At this time, SHC is committed to offering Fall 2020 courses in three formats:
- Traditional face-to-face (with appropriate health safety measures in place).
- Fully online (the student may be on or off-campus, but attendance in a physical classroom is unnecessary).
- Hybrid (course instruction will take place online and in-person with the faculty member determining the amount of each).
Flexible Fall 2020 is based on a calendar for the Fall semester that includes the following changes:
- Fall Break (October 5-6) is eliminated.
- Classes will be held on November 23 and November 24.
- Students will not return to campus after the Thanksgiving Break.
- The final week of classes and the week of final exams for all course formats will be conducted online.
Classrooms and Alternate Spaces
Given social distancing requirements, we are looking at available and potential classroom spaces and determining occupancy limits to allow for social distancing. We want to be sensitive to the kinds of teaching and learning that require specific times and spaces. While labs in the sciences and studio time for visual arts are the most obvious examples of courses needing to meet on campus in specific spaces, we know that there are also courses that depend upon specific equipment and specific activities that are best conducted in-person.
We are considering the possibility of extending our traditional class “day” into the time slots that had been reserved for night courses. We are also considering the possibility of hybrid courses in which some portions of the course (lectures for example) might be online with multiple discussion sections on campus on different days.