Skip to content


Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal DIRECT Student Loan Program
Subsidized and unsubsidized loans are federal loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education at a four-year college or university, community college, or trade, career, or technical school. The U.S. Department of Education offers eligible students at participating schools Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans. Learn more.

Federal Direct PLUS Loan Program
PLUS loans are federal loans that graduate or professional degree students and parents of dependent undergraduate students can use to help pay education expenses.

Here’s a quick overview of Direct PLUS Loans:

  • The U.S. Department of Education is the lender
  • The borrower must not have an adverse credit history
  • The maximum loan amount is the student’s cost of attendance (determined by the school) minus any other financial aid received

Learn more.

Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents
The Parent PLUS Loan gives parents a chance to apply for a PLUS loan either for a specific amount or for the total remaining balance of the student’s tuition after all financial aid has been awarded from the FAFSA.

Some details on the Parent Plus Loan:

  • The loan requires a credit check and a master promissory note.
  • The maximum amount available is the difference between the cost off attendance and the total financial aid package awarded
  • If a parent is declined the loan, the student is then eligible for an additional unsubsidized loan up to $4,000.

Learn more.

Federal Perkins Loans
Loans made through the Federal Perkins Loan Program, often called Perkins Loans, are low-interest federal student loans for undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need.

Here’s a quick overview of Federal Perkins Loans:

  • Available to undergraduate, graduate and professional students
  • Interest rate for this loan is five percent
  • Spring Hill College is the lender
  • Funds depend on your financial need and the availability of funds

Questions concerning the repayment of your Federal Perkins Student Loan can be answered by contacting the Spring Hill College Perkins Loan Liaison ( If you need to speak with ACS, our Perkins Loan billing servicer, please call (800) 826-4470 or visit the ACS Website.

Learn more.

Alternative Educational Loans
Private lenders are an alternative or additional educational funding option to federal student loans. Please review the option of lenders that other Spring Hill College students have used in the past. You are free to choose any alternative loan lender whether listed on this site or not. If you have specific questions please contact a financial aid counselor. Learn more.

Responsible Borrowing
Watch this short video on managing your loans.

Close menu