About Spring Hill College
Founded in 1830, Spring Hill College in Mobile, Alabama has educated leaders to be real world ready, preparing our students for success during College here on The Hill and after graduation. Our Jesuit, Catholic college education (“Jesuit-educated”) is renown as a well-rounded higher education approach, with an emphasis on empowering students with a passion for knowledge and personal growth. This is one of the main philosophies of Jesuit teaching: cura personalis, or the care for the whole person and service for others. This philosophy is infused throughout the Spring Hill College curriculum and campus experience, providing a personal and a world view to all aspects of a student’s education.
Spring Hill College is the oldest Catholic college in the Southeast and the third oldest Jesuit college in the U.S. The College is one of 28 Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States.
Spring Hill is also among the most affordable private Colleges in the country.
National and State Rankings
Forbes Magazine named Spring Hill College among the top ten colleges and universities in the country for return on a student’s College investment.
We have been ranked number 1 in Alabama for our nursing program among all other four year higher education programs in the state.
Our Health Sciences Division is ranked among the top 25 programs in the country.
Business Division named as a top national program by Colleges of Distinction.
See all of Spring Hill College rankings , placing Spring Hill College as among the top Catholic Colleges in the country.
- Student/faculty ratio: 13:1
- Average class size: 13
- Faculty with doctoral/highest degree: 91%
- More than 47 undergraduate majors and areas of concentration
- Average high school GPA of 3.3 – 4.0 and an ACT composite score of 21 – 25 (freshman class)
Graduates & Careers
- Close to 15,000 Alumni worldwide.
- Spring Hill College is listed among the top ten colleges and universities in the country for return on investment (ROI) by Forbes Magazine.
- Spring Hill College is honored as a College of Distinction for its Business and Nursing programs.
- 99.5% of the Class of 2019 attained placement six months after graduation through employment, graduate/professional school, internship or service.
- SHC has the #1 four-year nursing program in the state of Alabama.
- 100% of the SHC 2020 graduates that applied to medical school were accepted.
- SHC has a 100% certification rate and a 92% placement rate with our Teacher Education program over the last five years.
Jesuit, Liberal Arts Education
- Throughout the world, Jesuits are synonymous with a four century-old tradition of excellence in education and commitment to caring for the whole person – mind, body and spirit.
- Spring Hill College currently has 6 Jesuits as part of our campus community.
- The SHC core curriculum lays a strong academic foundation for students as they pursue their chosen field of study.
- 100% of students receive financial aid, including scholarships, grants, federal loans and work-study.
- With a new tuition of $21,100 starting in the fall of 2021, Spring Hill is now among the most affordable private colleges in the country.
- Our average financial aid package for 2021 freshmen is $18,207.
Living on Campus
- 1,317 total enrolled students from 31 states and 30 countries
- 61% women; 39% men
- 56% of our students are from outside Alabama
- 38% are Catholic
- Spring Hill guarantees all full-time undergraduates students on-campus housing for four years. 70% of undergraduate students live on campus.
- Our students contribute 24,000 hours on average to the local community through the Foley Center each year.
- Spring Hill College has more than 70 clubs and student organizations, and an 18-hole golf course and an 18-hole disc golf course on campus.
Located in one of Mobile’s most picturesque neighborhoods, Spring Hill’s campus rests on a 381-acre site, is naturally landscaped, and features huge oaks, azalea-lined walkways and an 18-hole golf course. Several buildings are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Mobile, Alabama, which is located on the Alabama Gulf Coast, is situated at the mouth of the Mobile River and the edge of Mobile Bay. About 540,000 residents live in the Mobile Bay area, which encompasses approximately 2,800 square miles. Mobile combines Southern beauty and charm with the advantages of a fast-growing metropolitan area. The region offers an abundance of cultural and recreational opportunities for people of all ages.
Spring Hill College has participated in intercollegiate athletics since 1889 when the baseball team first took to the diamond. The Badgers currently have 16 teams that compete within NCAA Division II and the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) or the Gulf South Conference (GSC). Since 1979, SHC has produced 61 NAIA All-Americans and 180 Daktronics-NAIA Scholar Athletes.
Spring Hill College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 – phone: 404-679-4501) to award baccalaureate and master’s degrees.
Professional programs are accredited by the Alabama State Board of Education and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.