About Spring Hill College
Founded in 1830, Spring Hill College has provided a powerful liberal arts education in the Jesuit tradition for almost two centuries. Spring Hill’s mission is to help students become leaders in service to others, fulfilling the unique potential of each individual. As a result, our students are engaged, inspired and transformed by their experiences.
Spring Hill College is:
- The oldest Catholic college in the Southeast and the third oldest Jesuit college in the U.S.
- Ranked among the top 20 Southern colleges and universities in U.S. News & World Report's “America's Best Colleges”
- Listed as a "Great Place, Great Price" college by U.S. News & World Report and an "A-Plus college for B students."
- 1,449 total enrolled students from 36 states and 11 countries
- 60% women; 40% men
- 60% of our students are from outside Alabama
- 51% are Catholic
- 90% live on campus in the College’s 8 residence halls. Spring Hill guarantees all full-time undergraduates students on-campus housing for four years.
- Our students contribute 18,000+ hours to the local community each year
- Spring Hill College has 50 registered student organizations
- Student/faculty ratio: 13:1
- Average class size: 17
- Faculty with doctoral/highest degree: 96%
- 46 undergraduate majors and areas of concentration
- Average high school GPA of 3.12 - 3.92 and an ACT composite score of 21 - 27 (freshman class)
- Most popular declared undergraduate majors:
- Science and Math (21%)
- Business (20%)
- Social Sciences (19%)
- Communications, Fine & Performing Arts (10%)
- Nursing (9%)
- Teacher Education (8%)
- 99% of students receive financial aid, including scholarships, grants, federal loans and work-study. Admissions and Financial Aid info.
Located on the Gulf Coast, Mobile, Alabama is situated at the mouth of the Mobile River and the edge of Mobile Bay. About 540,000 residents live in the Mobile Bay area, which encompasses approximately 2,800 square miles. Mobile combines Southern beauty and charm with the advantages of a fast-growing metropolitan area. The region offers an abundance of cultural and recreational opportunities for people of all ages.
Located in one of Mobile's most picturesque neighborhoods, Spring Hill's campus rests on a 381-acre site, is naturally landscaped, and features huge oaks, azalea-lined walkways and an 18-hole golf course. Several buildings are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Graduates & Careers
- 11,500 Alumni worldwide
- 90% of SHC graduates who apply for health-related graduate programs are accepted
- Teacher education graduates have a 100% teaching certification pass rate and 100% job placement success
- More than 85% of communications arts graduates find jobs in their chosen specialties within three months, more than 90% are placed within six months.
- Of the class of 2014, 50% of communication arts majors were placed in a job prior to commencement and more than 80% of those actively seeking employment were placed within six weeks of graduation.
- 54% of students plan to attend graduate or professional school
Jesuit, Liberal Arts Education
- Throughout the world, Jesuits are synonymous with a four century-old tradition of excellence in education and commitment to caring for the whole person – mind, body and spirit.
- Spring Hill College currently has 11 Jesuits as part of our campus community.
- The SHC core curriculum lays a strong academic foundation for students as they pursue their chosen field of study.
We provide four-year guaranteed housing in campus residence halls and apartments. Ninety percent of traditional undergraduates live on campus.
Spring Hill College has participated in intercollegiate athletics since 1889 when the baseball team first took to the diamond. The Badgers currently have 17 teams that compete within NCAA Division II and the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) or the Gulf South Conference (GSC). Since 1979, SHC has produced 61 NAIA All-Americans and 180 Daktronics-NAIA Scholar Athletes. In the 2013-14 seasons alone, the Badgers listed 21 Daktronics-NAIA Scholar Athletes and 24 All-Conference honorees on their rosters.
- Varsity Sports: Baseball (M), Basketball (M & W), Co-ed Cheerleading, Cross Country (M & W), Dance (W), Golf (M & W), Soccer (M & W), Softball (W), Tennis (M & W), Outdoor Track & Field (M & W), Volleyball (W)
- Junior Varsity Teams: Baseball (M), Basketball (M & W), Soccer (M & W), Softball (W), Volleyball (W), Golf (M)
- Intramural Sports: Sand Volleyball, Softball, Flag Football, 5-on 5 Basketball, Soccer, and Ultimate Frisbee; 40% student participation
- Club Sports: Bowling (M & W), Rugby (M & W), Co-ed Ultimate (Frisbee)
- Academics: Our student-athletes maintain a high level of academic excellence with an average GPA above 3.0
Spring Hill College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 - phone: 404-679-4501) to award baccalaureate and master's degrees.
Professional programs are accredited by the Alabama State Board of Education and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.