On December 27, 2020 the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) Simplification Act was passed. The new law was put into place to make the FAFSA easier for students and families to complete the FAFSA. The improved FAFSA will be open by December 31, 2023

It has been 40 years since the last major change to the FAFSA. With the improved FAFSA, congress has made it easier to apply for federal student aid ensuring more people can qualify. 

2024-2025 FAFSA Changes:

-Connecting more people with more funds.

-There will be less questions and it will be easier to transfer tax information. 

-Developing a better user experience. 

-930,000 additional Pell Grant award receipts (estimated). 

Before you start:

  • Collect your prior, prior year tax information. For the 2024-2025 year, you will use the 2022 tax return ( tax information will be required for the student, parent and stepparents if applicable)
  • Create / Confirm your FSA ID (everyone that is required to provide tax information with need to have an FSA ID)

To create a FSA ID: Home | Federal Student Aid


  • Fill out the FAFSA as soon as it opens (2024-2025 FAFSA should be accessible by December 31, 2023)
  • Be accurate- incorrect information will delay your financial aid package
  • Keep copies of all your supporting documents
  • Keep an eye on your student email for any communication or updates from the financial aid office
  • Reach out to financialaid@shc.edu with any questions regarding the FAFSA simplification or your financial aid account

Additional information on contributors: 

-If you are a dependent student, you must indicate your parents or stepparents as contributors on the FAFSA. 

-If your parents are married and filed joint 2022 tax returns, only one parent needs to complete the FAFSA as a contributor. 

-If your parents are married and filed separate 2022 tax returns, both parents need to complete the FAFSA as contributors. 

-If your parents are divorced, separated, or never married, the parent who provides the most financial support should complete the FAFSA as a contributor. 

-If you are married, you must indicate your spouse as a contributor on the FAFSA. 

For more information on dependency status: Dependency Status | Federal Student Aid

For FAFSA Help: FAFSA® Help | Federal Student Aid