Do students need a computer on campus?

For many students, a laptop is as essential as having textbooks and a school ID. While Spring Hill provides several computer labs throughout campus, a personal laptop provides students with 24/7 ability to complete assignments and prepare for exams, as well as use social networks, watch movies, listen to music, play games, post photos, and video-chat with parents and friends back home.

What kind of academic support do you offer?

All professors hold office hours when students can go see them for help. There are also tutors available to students on campus free of charge. A list of tutors will be printed and distributed in student mailboxes within the first few weeks of class.

How do I obtain a copy of my student’s grades?

The College is prohibited from releasing certain information to parents without the permission of the student, grades included. By federal law (The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, FERPA, also known as the Buckley Amendment), students over the age of 18 are considered responsible adults and are allowed to determine who will receive information about them.

Do professors take attendance in class?

Some professors take attendance while others do not. A professor’s attendance policy is outlined in his or her syllabus so students are encouraged to review all syllabi.

Can a student transfer classes from another school? Are summer classes necessary?

Students may decide to take summer courses at another institution. Students can transfer classes by meeting with his/her advisor and filling out a transient study form. This form also serves as a letter of good standing to the other institution attended. Also, through this form students will have prior approval to take these courses. Incoming freshmen are allowed to transfer a maximum of 18 semester hours (generally lower division courses).

Summer coursework is optional, as Spring Hill’s programs of study are designed to be completed in 8 traditional semesters.

Are the residence hall rooms good for studying? Where are good study locations on campus?

Some students study in residence hall rooms while others find them distracting. There are a number of quiet locations on campus. Each residence hall has a study room. Both the chemistry building and biology building have study rooms. Also, the Burke Library is often a popular place to study. If a student needs a classroom opened, he/she can contact public security and have a room opened at any time of the day.

I have always been very involved in my son/daughter’s academic life. What will this look like at the college level?

Supportive parents are a large factor in student success in college. However, we want to encourage students to develop life skills by contacting our office directly if they have any problems, questions, or concerns. Due to FERPA guidelines, it may also not be possible for our office to discuss the specifics of your student’s situation. Students can use the BadgerWeb Parent Portal to allow access to grades and financial information. More information on the Parent Portal is available here.

Admissions and Financial Aid

What is the timeframe for admission decisions after my application is complete?

Admission decisions are made within two weeks of the application being complete.

A completed application includes the student’s high school transcript, recommendation letter from a teacher or guidance counselor and ACT or SAT test scores.

What scholarships are available?

We have numerous scholarship opportunities. The application for admission serves as the application for most scholarships. We automatically consider admitted students for scholarships.

What if my Plus loan is denied?

When a parent is denied a Plus loan, the student is automatically eligible for additional unsubsidized loan money. Contact the Financial Aid Office about your individual situation.

How do I apply for a Parent Plus loan?

Applying for a Parent Plus loan is as easy as making a phone call. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 1-800-548-7886.

How can students file the FAFSA online?

Go to Make sure that you go to “.gov” not “.com.” If you go to “.com” you will be charged for the service.

Go to the FAFSA website

How do students apply for financial aid?

The Admissions Office will help you through the financial aid process. We encourage all families to file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).


How does a student participate in collegiate athletics?

Spring Hill College sponsors the following Varsity Intercollegiate sports:

Men: Soccer, Cross-Country, Basketball, Golf, Baseball, Tennis, Bowling, Cheer, and Outdoor Track & Field

Women: Soccer, Cross-Country, Basketball, Golf, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball, Bowling, Cheer, Dance, and Outdoor Track & Field.

Club Sports: Men’s Volleyball, Men’s Rugby, Women’s Rugby, Baseball, Men’s Soccer, Women’s Soccer, Men’s Basketball, and Men’s Golf.

All coaches conduct try-outs. Please contact the athletic department at 251-380-3485 for further information.

How do students earn athletic scholarships?

Athletic grants-in-aid are awarded by each sports head coach and are based upon athletic talent. If you are interested in receiving an athletic grant-in-aid, please contact your sport’s respective head coach to discuss the recruitment and scholarship process. A directory of Spring Hill College sport head coaches may be found on the Athletics website.

Go to the SHC Badgers website

Do students need to get a physical if they are playing a sport?

The college’s athletic trainer has a packet of forms that must be completed and on file prior to a student’s participation in collegiate athletics. All returning student-athletes will receive a free physical in the spring semester for the following year.

Graduate Theology

Is financial assistance available?

The major form of assistance is the significantly reduced tuition offered for all students in the theology programs, comparable to 50% or more reduction of the standard tuition for these programs nationwide. In some cases, the diocese, parish, school or employer will offer further assistance. For those qualified for the Portier Grant (Catholics with financial need, active in ministry in the Archdiocese of Mobile), there are a limited number of tuition grants of up to 25%, for a matching amount of assistance from the parish or school or other archdiocesan institution.

How long will it take to complete the degrees?

The MTS and MPS degrees are specifically designed to be part time for adults with other commitments. The minimum amount of time for the degree would be two and half years. Students have six years to complete the program. The MA degree would normally take 2-3 years beyond the completion of the MTS.

Can this program be done fully online or through the extension sites?

The new blended format requires that students attend at least 6 in-class meetings during the course of their program, the rest of the program is offered fully on-line. The in-class meetings (Hybrid courses and Graduate Seminars) are offered in both Mobile, AL and Atlanta, GA.

Is this program only for Catholics?

The Graduate Theology program is deeply rooted in the Catholic tradition, but also seeks to offer an expansive, ecumenical vision that enters into dialogue with the many “frontiers” and challenges of the 21st century. A large percentage of our students are not Roman Catholic and come from many of the Orthodox and Protestant denominations. The ecumenical diversity of our students is a great asset of the program.

Theology Certificate Programs

Certificate of Spiritual Direction – Is this program offered online?

The certificate of Spiritual Direction is offered in an in-class, cohort format. A few of the classes will have an on-line component, but the bulk of the program requires in-class meetings. Cohorts and all classes are available in both Mobile, AL and Atlanta, GA.

Is the program ecumenical?

Yes, very much so. While rooted in the Catholic tradition of theology and of church, spirituality is also the area of theology in which the common ground of Christian faith is most clearly discovered.

Health Services

What vaccinations do students need before coming to campus?

Students are required to have proof of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella, meningitis, hepatitis B and tetanus. Students must also provide documentation of tuberculosis (TB-skin test) screening within the past year. Immunization forms at to be completed and turned into Wellness Center (251-380-2271) by August 5th. We ask that students do not wait last minute to turn these in, because there will be a health hold placed on your account if not approved by move-in day.

What services are available for students who get sick?

The Wellness Center provides counseling services, and a variety of educational programs for all Spring Hill College full-time, part-time, undergraduate and graduate students. The Wellness Center is partnered with Greater Mobile Urgent Care located at 4402 Old Shell Rd, Mobile, AL 36608, across the street from Toolen Hall. Students will need to bring their insurance card, student ID, and driver’s license.

If there is a health emergency after 4:30 p.m. weekdays, or on the weekend, students should contact Public Safety or their RA who will contact Residence Life Staff that provide on-call services to respond to emergencies. There are also 5 emergency departments in Mobile that students can utilize if needed.

How do out-of-state students get their monthly medications refilled?

Student’s will need to discuss filling their medication in Alabama with their prescribing doctor due to certain medication having strict state line policies.

How do I get information on my sick son or daughter?

If it is a medical emergency, parents of a student will be called by staff from Residence Life. If it is a mental health emergency the student needs to have signed a release of information form at the Wellness Center to release information about them to anyone, including parents per HIPAA.

Are students required to have health insurance?

Yes. It is mandatory for all full-time Spring Hill College undergraduate students to have health insurance

Where can students have prescriptions filled?

The campus Wellness Center does not have an outpatient pharmacy. There are two pharmacies located on Old Shell Rd, within a 5-minute walk from Toolen Hall.

Living on Campus

Where do I send packages?

Packages should be sent to your student’s box number. He/she will be given a notification that there is a package to be picked up at the post office window. Write down your student’s address before leaving your student on campus.

Is there a campus curfew?

There is no set time that students are required to return to their rooms. There are, however, visitation hours in place in all residence halls. Visitation hours are 10 a.m. to midnight on Sunday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday

What is the campus alcohol policy?

Spring Hill students who are 21 years of age are allowed to consume alcohol if they are in their rooms with the door closed or if they purchase alcohol at a College sanctioned event where a third-party vendor is present. Students under 21 who are found consuming or in the possession of alcohol will be sanctioned through the judicial system.

The school does not tolerate students’ using/possessing illegal drugs.

What are the first few weeks of college like?

Each student is different. Some students adjust quickly, and some take time to adjust to campus life. There are a number of activities for students. During orientation students are strongly encouraged to participate in all activities as they are meant to help ease the transition into college.

How much spending money does a student need each week?

Parents and students should discuss the student’s living habits before he/she comes to campus. Some students get jobs on/around campus. Other students receive a weekly allowance from their parents. There are several local banks located in the immediate area.

How does my son/daughter do his/her laundry?

Laundry facilities are located in each residential building and are always available to students. The cost of laundry is factored into each student’s room and board cost at the beginning of the semester, so students will not need to pay at the time of doing their laundry. We recommend getting your student laundry detergent at move-in so that they are prepared for the semester.

Do students need a car/bike on campus?

Many students find bikes useful on campus. Cars are not necessary but are allowed on campus.

Can students call long distance from their residence hall room?

Due to the prevalence of cellular phone usage, in-room phone service is no longer provided in our residence halls. Students are encouraged to bring a cellular phone with them to campus.

Can students get their own room in the residence halls?

Students requiring special living arrangements will be accommodated to the best of the residence life staff’s ability. Singles are limited and not all requests can be granted. All requests should be accompanied with a recommendation from one’s family physician. Freshmen students are assigned a roommate as it establishes a sense of community.

Where is your the Residence Life office located?

Our office is located on the first floor of the Student Center. We are directly across from the bookstore. Our office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. You can contact us by phone at (251) 380-3028 or by email at

I am filling out my student’s forms and can’t find their ID number. How can I get it?

We do not encourage parents to fill out students’ forms for them. Instead, we recommend that you are available to help your student answer questions if needed. If you student has lost their Student ID information, they can find this information by logging onto their Residence accounts.

What should I do if my student has a roommate or residence hall issue?

We encourage students to address roommate conflicts or other residential issues themselves. Resident Advisors are trained to help students facilitate conversations and build their resolution skills. As a parent, it is most helpful if you encourage your student to speak with their roommate or to ask a Resident Advisor for guidance. However, if the conflict persists, Area Coordinators are trained and available to assist students with roommate of residence hall issues.

Are there options for Meals/ Food on Campus other than the Cafeteria?

Einstein’s Bagels, located in Burke Library, offers snacks, coffee, and sandwiches. McKinney’s Grill, located in the Student Center, offers grill items, sandwiches, salads, sushi, and ice cream. Both of these options can be paid for using Badger Bucks or cash/credit cards. Students are also able to use Badger Bucks to order pizza from Pizza Hut.

Safety, Transportation and Parking

Where do visitors park on campus?

The Spring Hill College Department of Public Safety provides visitors with a parking permit and directions. Please call (251) 380-4000 for information.

What type of transportation services does Spring Hill offer my son or daughter?

The Department of Public Safety will provide vehicle rides anywhere on campus to anyone who is on campus and requests it. If someone feels uncomfortable walking on campus, they may also call Public Safety (380-4444), and an officer will escort them to their campus destination (24-hour service).

Is my son or daughter’s information accessible to the public?

No. In an attempt to protect students on campus, College officials will not give out student information.

Are freshmen allowed to have cars on campus? If so, what is the parking procedure?

Freshmen are allowed to have cars. All students receive parking decals, which correlate to parking lots that are as close to their residence halls as possible.

Is Spring Hill College a safe campus?

The Office of Residence Life and the Spring Hill College Community are committed to providing students with a safe environment that is conducive to personal growth and learning. All residence halls on campus are secure and external doors are locked 24 hours a day. Access to residence halls are restricted to students assigned to each building and authorized personnel. The campus as a whole, also restricts access to non-Spring Hill Students and authorized personnel after 10 p.m., limiting the entrances to campus to a singular access point from the Old Shell Road entrance.

Student Activities

What activities are available for students on campus?

With more than 50 Spring Hill student organizations on campus, there’s something for everyone! The campus programming board also sponsors several activities (such as Fall Formal and Mardi Gras Ball) each semester. Learn more about getting involved during Welcome Week at Spring Hill College!

Here’s a sample of the many organizations you can join:

  • Habitat for Humanity
  • History Club
  • Math Club
  • Multicultural Student Union
  • Order of Omega Honorary
  • Phi Alpha Theta Honorary
  • Phi Mu
  • Phi Sigma Tau Honorary
  • Philosophy Club
  • Ping Pong Club
  • Political Science & International Studies Club
  • Psi Chi Honorary
  • Psychology Club
  • Student Alumni Ambassadors
  • Student Nurses Association
  • Students for Justice
  • Students for Life
  • Tau Kappa Epsilon
  • Ultimate Frisbee Club
© Copyright 2024 Spring Hill College. All rights reserved.